This wonderful brownie is packed full of goodness and chocolate. Each serving is wonderfully moist and rich with all the wonderful antioxidants and goodness from the beetroot.
A huge 7g of protein per serving and an amazing 2g of Fibre, it's a perfectly balanced, delicious cake.
You will need:
- Mixing Bowl
- Food Processor
- Hand Blender
- Weighing scales
- Tray for baking
- Greaseproof paper or baking parchment
- Rubber gloves
Nutrition (per serving - recipe serves 12):
- Calories – 104kcal
- Protein – 7g
- Carbohydrate – 14g
- Fat 4g
- Fibre 2.7g
- 2 Eggs
- 325g Raw Beetroot
- 60g Boditronics Chocolate Express Whey
- 100g Flora Proactive Light or similar
- 15g Sweetener
- 100g Milk Chocolate
- 100g Plain flour
- 50g Cocoa
- 5g Vanilla Essence
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 180°C
- Wear a pair of rubber gloves to stop your hands from staining, then top and tail the beetroot. You will need approximately 325g flesh.
- Roughly chop the beetroot flesh and put into a large bowl. Add a splash of water and cover with cling film.
- Microwave the beetroot on high for 12 minutes or until tender.
- While the beetroot cooks, line a 20cm x 30cm baking tray (or small roasting tin).
- Roughly chop the chocolate and cut the butter into cubes. Tip the cooked beetroot into a sieve, drain off any excess liquid and put into a food processor or blender with the chocolate, butter and vanilla.
- Whizz until the mix is as smooth as you can get it. The chocolate and the butter will melt as you do this.
- Put the protein, sweetener and eggs into a large bowl, then beat using an electric hand whisk until thick, pale and foamy (about 2 minutes).
- Spoon the beetroot mix into the bowl (it won't look to pretty at this stage but don't worry).
- Use a large metal spoon to fold it into the whisked eggs. Try to conserve as much air in the mixture as you can. .
- Sift in the flour and cocoa powder, then gently fold these in to make a smooth batter.
- Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 22 minutes or until risen all over, with just the merest quiver under the centre of the crust when you shake the pan.
- While the cake is cooling, mix all of the ingredients for the filling together.
- Cool completely in the tin, cut into squares and enjoy!