Spiced Toffee Apple Protein Cake
Recipe makes 10 servings
- 24g Carbs
- 10g Protein
- 11.6g Fat
This cake is absolutely delicious and is guaranteed to scratch that sweet itch, feed your muscles and warm your tummy!
The difficulty will be not eating the whole cake!
- 100d dates, roughly chopped
- 200ml water
- 2 scoops of Boditronics Peanut Toffee Express Whey
- 100g butter, softened
- 140g self-raising flour
- 30g Sucralose based sweetener
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 small red apples
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- Handful of baking toffee pieces
- A little maple syrup for a glaze
- Heat oven to 180°C/160°Fan/Gas mark 4
- Grease and line a 20cm x 30cm loaf tin with baking parchment.
- Put the dates in 100ml of water in a small pan and bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat and set aside for 15 minutes to cool.
- Place the boiled dates (including the water they were boiled) into a blender. Add the remaining 100ml of water and blend into a smooth purée then scrape into a mixing bowl.
- Into the mixing bowl containing the date purée, add the Boditronics Peanut Toffee Express Whey, softened butter, sweetener, baking powder, eggs, mixed spice and vanilla.
- Whisk them all together and add in the toffee pieces. Set aside whilst you prepare the apples.
- Quarter and core the apples, then slice thinly and toss in a little lemon juice.
- Scrape the cake mixture into the prepared loaf tin. Arrange the apple slices (overlapping in rows) on top of the cake. You should be able to get 2 rows lengthways down the tin.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Leave on a wire rack to cool.
- The final and best step.... glaze the top of the cake with the maple syrup for a lovely sheen. Cut yourself a piece and enjoy with a nice cup of tea!